The Parish Church of
Toller Lane, Bradford, England
A Forward in
Faith church in the
Church of England
Diocese of Leeds
and in the
pastoral care of the Bishop of
St Chad's is
on the B6144,
1.5 miles NW of
Bradford city centre.
This map shows
where to find us.
(opens in new tab)
Profile of the Parish
by Fr Ralph Crowe
St Chad's home page.
Saint Chad's, Toller
- The year 2010 marked the 100th
anniversary of the creation of the Parish. The foundation stone of
the present building was laid on 17th February 1912 and the church was
consecrated on 27th September 1913.
- The church achieved Grade 2 Listed
Building status during 2010 and English Heritage offered a grant of
£80,000 towards the end of that year.
- St Chad's is affiliated to The Society under the patronage of Saint
Wilfrid and Saint Hilda and is registered with Forward in Faith UK.
We are also an affiliated parish of The Church Union.
- St Chad's is home to the Ward of
Saint Faith of the Confraternity
of the Blessed Sacrament. Our principal activity is the monthly Holy
Hour when we spend time in prayerful contemplation before the Blessed
- Our concern for the sick in body and
mind is expressed in our membership of the Guild of Health & St Raphael.
The sick are prayed for at every service and their needs form the
special Intention of one Wednesday evening Mass each month.
- The Fraternity of Our Lady of
Walsingham, Saint Chad and All Saints, a Cell of the Society of the Holy House of
Our Lady of Walsingham*, was
inaugurated at the beginning of 2002 with Fr Crowe as its first
Superior. The Cell was suspended when Father Ralph retired - requiring a
priest-associate to function.
members of the cell make an annual pilgrimage to Walsingham at the end
* On the Walsingham website, click on Membership and
then on Society of OLW.
- We publish a monthly magazine – St
Chad's Journal. Copies are available by post for an annual
subscription of £12. Alternatively, an electronic version
(in .pdf format) is available on request. Contact our e-correspondent
- Our Home Mission is the Additional Curates Society.
- Overseas we support the work of the United Society for the Propagation of the
Gospel. Until his death, in May 2002, we supported Bishop Keith
Benzies in his care of the people of northern Madagascar. Our
contributions now go to supporting Health Care in Southern Malawi.
- We hold an annual Christingle Service in
support of the The
Children's Society and are involved in house-to-house collection for
- Starting on Trinity Sunday each year,
the children of the Sunday School choose a charity to support. This year
they have chosen to continue their fundraising for The Guide Dogs for the Blind
- We regularly support Traidcraft with a stall selling
goods from "Third World" countries which have been produced at
a fair wage.